Website Morris Animal Foundation
- Position Title: HR Generalist
- Department: People & Culture Department, (“PCD,” Administration Department)
- Reports to: Director of People & Culture
At Morris Animal Foundation (MAF), we know that our team is our largest asset, that’s why our Administration Department focuses on people, purpose, and process to provide direction and support that ensures that our team can best deliver the Foundation’s mission. Alongside the Director of People & Culture, the HR Generalist will have the unique opportunity to evaluate, grow, and produce various programs and policies that will continue to uplift and grow our team members. The HR Generalist will also play an important role in ensuring equitable practices and protecting the Foundation and its staff by closely monitoring employment law compliance.
About Morris Animal Foundation:
Established in 1948, Morris Animal Foundation is dedicated to improving and protecting the health of animals through scientific innovation, education and inspiration. Our investment in research has yielded life-saving vaccines, new treatments for critical diseases, superior screening tests, and advanced diagnostic tools. We respond to emerging animal health threats that endanger entire species and make new discoveries in basic animal biology to support applied research. With every study we fund – more than 2,850 to date – we strive to advance the science of veterinary medicine, honoring the founding principles of Dr. Mark L. Morris Sr. to benefit animals worldwide.
Morris Animal Foundation is committed to promoting diversity throughout the organization, its staff, Trustees and scientific advisers. Diversity within our organization enhances our capacity to communicate, strengthens our organization, makes our culture more robust and allows us to serve animals, donors and partners more effectively.
The People & Culture Department at MAF is fairly young (4.5 years). This role will play an integral part in taking programming, such as HR Policy, Benefit Administration, EDI Initiatives, Employee Training and Support, Vendor Management (and more!), to the next level, especially as it relates to employee benefits, Foundation policy, and a new Hybrid Work Model. There will be ample opportunity to evaluate and revise current programs and bring fresh perspectives and a working knowledge of employment law and compliance to the team.
You will be part of the People & Culture Department (PCD) within the larger Administration team. The PCD focuses on supporting the employees of the Foundation, acting as a resource for employee needs as they pertain to compensation, benefits, employee relations, and ensuring equitable and inclusive employment practices. Above all, the People & Culture Department is dedicated to the Core Values of the Foundation and supporting the best interest of the Foundation and its mission.
The Skill Set:
The PCD is looking for candidates with working experience and extensive knowledge of HR best practices and employment law. Candidates will have strong ethical character and a demonstrated dedication to professionalism and confidentiality. A positive attitude, even in adverse situations, will serve this position well. The HR Generalist will thrive in collaborative teamwork situations as well as be independently driven to see projects through to completion. The HR Generalist will also possess developing leadership skills and a desire to mentor others, oversee projects and possibly other team members after the initial onboarding period. Most of all, the HR Generalist will have a passion for a positive culture that supports staff as the Foundation’s most important asset.
- 4+ years experience in a human resources role
- Proven experience generating and evaluating human resource programs, policies and procedures
- Proficiency in payroll tax, benefit administration and compliance
- Extensive knowledge of employment and labor laws
- Familiarity with federal and state laws/regulations relating to insurance programs, including the HIPAA and the ACA
- Strong attention to details, excellent analytical and mathematics skills to ensure accuracy and clarity
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business etiquette
- Proficient in Microsoft 360 Suite
- Ability to analyze a problem/situation, and strategically plan to achieve the best possible solutions
- Experience in leading and facilitating projects to completion
- Adhere to the Foundation’s safety policies and procedures and encourage others to do the same
- Participate in building a culture of accountability, performance, and trust
- Promote and adhere to Foundation Core Values: Excellence, Respect, Compassion, Collaboration, Innovation, and Determination
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Supervisory experience
- Proficiency in payroll processing
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant HR Certifications
- Knowledge of Paylocity, Asana and Zoom software
Position at a Glance:
Within three months, you will:
- Learn about and become well-versed in MAF employee benefits.
- Become proficient in processing payroll through our payroll provider, Paylocity.
- Become familiar and support the Foundation’s hiring, onboarding and offboarding processes.
Within six months, you will:
- Study and become knowledgeable of MAF policies.
- Review, make recommendations and implement systems to monitor compliance with employment law (both in Colorado and in other employment states).
- Work with the Director of People and Culture and other PCD team members to prioritize the update of programming such as flexible workplace policies, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) initiatives, leave bank administration, professional development guidelines, feedback administration; assist in leading projects for agreed upon updates.
- Assist in putting in place a PCD calendar for supporting employee wellness and benefit education.
Within nine months, you will:
- Continue updating programs and policies according to best practice recommendations.
- Help to publish Employee Highlights monthly email.
- Support equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives and programs.
Long-term goals for this position include:
- Evaluation of and updates to Foundation HR platforms such as Issues Reporting platform, Background Check platform and procedures, 403B provider options, Compensation modules and more!
- Direction of benefit and payroll administration and related programming.
Benefits (To name a few!):
Morris Animal Foundation offers competitive pay, merit-based raises, and ample growth and professional development opportunities for its employees. A full benefits package includes 100% paid premiums for employee health, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance and a 403b retirement account with up to 6% employer match. Employees are given accrued vacation time, six personal days per fiscal year, 10 paid holidays, a lifestyle and fitness reimbursement, work from home equipment reimbursements and nine weeks paid FMLA medical and parental leave. Come be a part of a compassionate and collaborative organization that is bursting with pride for its mission!
Full-time, exempt position. Job duties include a general office environment, spent sitting and operating a computer and other office machinery. Must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. If hired, you will be required to furnish proof of your eligibility to work in the U.S.
Work Location Requirements:
- Hybrid Work Model, flexibility for work at home available, however some in office work will be required at MAF central office in Denver.
- Out of state candidates are welcome to apply if willing to relocate prior to start date.
- Hiring Range: $63,700-79,600 annually
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and a cover letter that includes how you heard about this job and your salary requirements in a Word document or PDF, labeled with your complete name to the People & Culture Department at PCD@morrisanimalfoundation.org. Please list HR Generalist in the subject line of your email. Incomplete and/or inaccurate applications will not be considered.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy:
MAF is a science-based organization and supports the research community behind FDA approved vaccines. MAF is also committed to protecting the health and well-being of our employees, their families, and members of our community against coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for all employees per our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Employees that are not vaccinated due to a qualifying medical condition or on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief can request accommodation at the time of the job offer.
To apply for this job email your details to PCD@morrisanimalfoundation.org